The world is facing a global climate crisis and three billion people live in extreme poverty. Meanwhile many of us enjoy a luxury that pollutes. It seems hopelessly unfair.
Who are you, and who do you want to be? Why do we live on this beautiful planet, really? Why is there also so much suffering and hopelessness here.
Maybe you're wondering about how you're living? What you want to learn about life? Who will benefit from the talents you have received? Maybe you're dreaming about where you want to go - to share and contribute what you are good at? These are questions related to our hope and future. The needs of the world is great, and this main course will form and equip you and teach you how to create a better future and bring hope to yourself and others.
"It is important for us to explain our values and what we stand for, while we welcome your backgrounds and beliefs. In Kristiansand Folkehøyskole we have chosen our motto: A school for the future, and we hope and believe that a year at our school will mean something positive for your future and for the world's future both locally and globally. "
Kristiansand folkehøyskole have developed a five step program based one the gospel of Matthew, which takes students and teachers through a 9 month journey through their own life. We reflect our own lives against the history's most hopeful, life-affirming and globally recognized master: Jesus Christ. He caused a before-and-after in world history - and has a hope and a future to millions of people. He is the rolemodel we can build our character after.
The first step begins simply with what is most important for the future of faith and hope: God's unconditional love for the world. God wants the world well.
1) Receive love - completely without personal efforts. In the first part we focus on getting to know each other and God's love for us and the world. This is a keynote throughout the school year.
2) Give love. When we received unconditional love, we can easily love our neighbor as ourselves. It is the second part of the course. Here we practice the actions of love in a dignified life.
3) Learning life's most important puzzles. In this third part, we use the time to go deeper into the relationship to ourselves, our fellow man, nature and the kingdom of God. We learn new things when we travel around the world.
4) Serve with our talents. In this fourth part we focus on developing talents. Here you will become more conscious on how to use your talents to benefit yourself and others, you can get great help and guidance in future career choices.
5) Sharing what we have. Jesus showed the world that there is always a hope and always a future - even in the grave. He rose again. By sharing our knowledge, pain and good experiences, things become easier to handle. Then there might arise new and creative solutions that bring new life and changes in any hopeless situations.
After finishing the school year, we believe you will have new creative tools for your onward journey in life, where you can contribute to creating a future and bring hope for others. For those who are considering taking a year in Kristiansand folkehøyskole, this course will resonate through the entire school year and the other subjects - it is representet by the sun in our logo.
The story of Jesus has given hope to millions of people over the last 2,000 years, and it still does. This main course sums up everything that happens through the school year, providing you with specific tools for the next steps. The course has five different sections with 40 different lectures, wrapping up the school year with a scent of hope.